The EMG J is our original J pickup in a Extended series housing for 4, 5, & 6 string bass.
This pickup has its coil located in the back of the housing - closer to the bridge - which gives it sweeping harmonic overtones and punch. This quiet pickup has classic jazz bass characteristics with a broader tonal frequency range that adds dimensions and clarity. EMG's design has a very low ratio of resistance to inductance, which increases the low end response, while the radiused ceramic bar magnet ensures the tone keeps a tight mid-range punch with a dynamic high end.
For players who want a slightly more mellow sound, you can order this pickup as a “reverse,” where to coil is closer to the neck side (or front) of the cap.
The added head room and dynamic response of the X Series preamp gives players an active pickup with the feel closer to a passive.
To complete a set two pickups will be required.
- EMG's exclusive Quik-Connect™ cables
- Prewired solid shaft volume/tone control set
- Output jack
- Battery clip set
- Adjustment screws
35J & 35JX – “ 4 String ” Size
- Maximum Recommended String Width: 35J 63.5mm (2.50")
- Maximum Recommended String Width: 35JX 63.5mm (2.50")
- Length = 88.9mm (3.50") Width = 38.1mm (1.50")
40J & 40JX – “ 5 String ” Size
- Maximum Recommended String Width: 40J 76.2mm (3.00")
- Maximum Recommended String Width: 40JX 76.2mm (3.00")
- Length = 101.6mm (4.00") Width = 38.1mm (1.50")
45J & 45JX – “ 6 String ” Size
- Maximum Recommended String Width: 45J 92.0mm (3.62")
- Maximum Recommended String Width: 45JX 92.0mm (3.62")
- Length = 114.3mm (4.50") Width = 38.1mm (1.50")
Please Note:EMG supplies chrome screws with their pickups. If you require black or gold screws, we carry them on our pickup screws page.