EMG Thunderbird size pickups are available for the String bass guitar in a wide array of different coil configurations to provide you the player with different tonal options for your bass. All EMG pickups are humcancelling and available in Stacked Coil, Split Coil, and Dual Coil in their traditional style.
EMG's modern design features epoxy cast non-removable pickup covers, and their blade/rail design provides a generous sensing area and balanced response and output for a variety of bridge spacings. Almost all of EMG's offerings are Active pickups that utilize an internal preamp built directly into each pickup that provides excellent noise reduction and gain to get the output you require.
The Thunderbird is a classic body style and EMG offers direct replacement pickups for players looking to get more from their instrument.
This pickup comes with EMGs solderless wiring and pots for easy installation.
The added head room and dynamic response of the X Series preamp gives players an active pickup with the feel closer to a passive.
- EMG's exclusive Quik-Connect™ cable
- Prewired solid shaft volume/tone control set
- Output jack
- Battery clip set
- Adjustment screws
- Length = 94.28mm (3.712") Width = 41.91mm (1.650")
- Maximum Recommended String Width: 63.5mm (2.50")
TBCS – “ 4 String ” Size
- The TBCS offers excellent frequency range and response thanks to our low noise, low-impedance internal preamp. Using a pair of ceramic and steel loaded coils, players get beautifully smooth yet powerful pickup with a subtle top end.
TBDC – “ 4 String ” Size
- The TBDC offers excellent frequency range and response thanks to our low noise, low-impedance internal preamp. Using a pair of ceramic loaded parallel coils, players get an extremely versatile bass pickup that can be used reproduce the cleanest highs right down to the dirtiest growling lows.
TBHZ – “ 4 String ” Size
- For bass players who want an authentic passive touch sensitivity and feel, the TBHZ offers that with EMG's legendary quality, reliability, and tone. With two Alnico and steel bars, this pickup gives your bass a full and rich sound with plenty of punch and output.
TBJ – “ 4 String ” Size
- The EMG TBJ is our original J pickup in a TB cap. This pickup has its coil located in the back of the housing - closer to the bridge - which gives it sweeping harmonic overtones and punch. This quiet pickup has classic jazz bass characteristics with a broader tonal frequency range that adds dimensions and clarity. EMG's design has a very low ratio of resistance to inductance, which increases the low end response, while the radiused ceramic bar magnet ensures the tone keeps a tight mid-range punch with a dynamic high end.
TBP – “ 4 String ” Size
- The TBP is our P bass pickup in a TB cap with the treble magnet closer to the neck (like a Spector or Yamaha bass). The EMG TBP covers a wide sonic palette of classic and modern bass sounds. Because this pickup utilizes ceramic magnets coupled with short, squat coils, the tone has brilliant high-end articulation, warmth, and incredible low end punch.
TBTW – “ 4 String ” Size
- This dual mode pickup offers two unique tones. The single-coil mode is our JCS pickup built with ceramic magnets and steel pole pieces for a rich, warm tone. The humbucker mode is our popular CS (ceramic steel) dual-coil for a big, aggressive sound with a pronounced mid-range. A push/pull volume (or tone) pot allows you to change from the rich clarity of a J pickup sound to the fatness of the CS humbucker.
- When using two of TW Pickups in the same instrument it is not recommended that our BT or BQ Systems be used. Each pickup requires a push/pull pot for switching from single coil to humbucker, so the balance control included with the system can't be installed. If you want to use the balance control, consider switching single/dual coil outputs with a DPDT toggle switch(s) instead.
Please Note:EMG supplies chrome screws with their pickups. If you require black or gold screws, we carry them on our pickup screws page.