J-Tone - Pure & Simple
- Pure Classic J Tone
- Full passive & active
- High performance musical EQ
- Volume/Volume & Volume/Blend Versions
Retain the original sound of a J style bass with a modern active EQ in the same preamp - no changes to your bass required!
John East created the J-TONE pre amp, replicating the authentic original passive wiring of the J style bass with a high spec active EQ. It's designed as a direct drop-in replacement, including a place for the battery. It's easy to fit at home using basic tools, no soldering, no physical changes to the instrument.
The passive wiring is available as either the classic Volume / Volume / Tone, or for those who prefer a master volume - Volume / Blend / Tone. Plug-in tone caps allow additional fine tuning of the passive tone control.
The active EQ is simplicity itself, incorporating highly responsive bass and treble controls, taken from our new high end UNI-PRE system. Internal edge wheels allow individual custom voicing for both the bass and treble control spectrum. Instrument qualities can be enhanced in conjunction with tone-shaping to match playing styles.
Summary of Features & Basic Spec
- Classic Volume / Volume / Tone passive path version, replicating original J style wiring.
- Volume / Blend / Tone version for those who prefer a master volume.
- Push-Pull active/passive on passive tone.
- Class A FET input stage for great sound quality, with master gain trim preset adjuster.
- Highly responsive Bass and Treble control adjustments in active.
- Frequency Wheels to set the width of the bass and treble spectrum individually.
- Passive tone is always operational, in both active and passive.
- Passive tone has plug-in tone cap to allow easy swapping of the cap value for different roll-off frequencies.
- Bass control can be set as boost/cut or boost only, with an internal jumper link setting.
- Screw terminals for all external connections - pickups and grounding, for easy installation.
- Designed as drop-in replacement for standard J electronics with no physical changes to the instrument*
- Design allows 9V Battery to mount beneath the preamp in a standard J style bass.
Basic Response, Gain & EQ Spec
- PASSIVE MODE: Neutral at response in accordance with passive control settings.
- ACTIVE MODE: Neutral at response when Bass & Treble controls are set to their centre clicks.
- GAIN TRIM: Internal Trimmer 0-12dBs setting overall gain of active circuit.
- BASS CONTROL: +/- 18dBs Cut/Boost with internally adjustable shelf frequency 40–200Hz.
- TREBLE CONTROL: +/- 18dBs Cut/Boost with internally adjustable shelf frequency 1kHz – 7.5kHz.
Note: * The J-Tone will fit in the majority of J style basses, but the routing width and depth of cavities does vary, so we can't guarantee it. It's important to check that a 9V battery drops into the cavity close to the jack, and that there's a depth of 32mm.
By Nicholas from on 3/15/2018
I did have to cut a notch to get the the unit to line up with the mounting holes and had trouble installing it with the battery and wires fitting.
But overall well worth the upgrade.
By Daniel Rodriguez from on 11/2/2017
Well-designed, great sound, easy installation
By Tom D. from on 6/7/2017
Consider carefully whether you want the volume/blend for volume/volume configuration. I ordered volume/blend and then wondered if I would rather have had volume/volume. As it has turned out I have been able to take advantage of the customizable output level, so I can leave the main volume backed off a bit for most of the time, and then crank it up when I go to the bridge pickup or for songs that emphasize the bass more. Using the preamp this way has really made the volume/blend work out well, but for a while there I was worried I should have gotten the volume/volume configuration instead.
Overall a very well thought-out preamp that sounds great. A great blend of classic organic passive sound and active tone shaping. Installation is about as simple as anyone could make it--all you need is a screwdriver and you're good to go.